Papers and Projects
The following is a list of the papers that I have had accepted in journals and conferences. My undergraduate was in computer engineering, my master’s in rehabilitation science, and now I am focusing on HCC. The different venues and topic shifts represent those three areas.
- E. Higgins, J. Posada, S. Abler, Q. Kimble-Brown, F. Hamidi, “Investigating an Equity-based Participatory Approach to Technology-rich Learning in Community Recreation Centers”, Accepted to: ACM CHI 2023. Full citation to come.
- E. Higgins, W.B. Easley, K. Gordes, A. Hurst, and F. Hamidi, “Creating 3D Printed Assistive Technology Through Design Shortcuts: Leveraging Digital Fabrication Services to Incorporate 3D Printing into the Physical Therapy Classroom” ASSETS 2022. Link.
- E. Higgins, M. Zorrilla, K.M. Murphy, M. Robertson, M.R. Goldberg, S.K. Cohen, N. Augustine, J.L. Pearlman, “Technology Transfer Activities and Productivity of NIDILRR Grantees,” Proceedings of RESNA, 2019, pp. 171-172. Link.
- E. Higgins, M. Zorrilla, K. M. Murphy, M. Robertson, M. R. Goldberg, S. K. Cohen, N. Augustine & J. L. Pearlman (2022) Barriers and facilitators to technology transfer of NIDILRR grantees, Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, DOI: 10.1080/17483107.2022.2122604. Link. 2022 BEST PAPER HONORABLE MENTION BY NARRTC.
- L. Stamato, E. Higgins, H.M. Prottoy, N.S. Asgarali-Hoffman, L. Scheifele, L. Dusman, T. deCarvalho, T. Ascencao, F. Hamidi, “Raaz: A Transdiciplinary Exploration at the Intersection of Bioart, HCI, and Community Engagement” Frontiers in Computer Science vol. 4, 2022. Link.
- D. Kline, S. Longofono, S. Ollivier, E. Higgins, R. Melhem and A. K. Jones, "PREMSim: A Resilience Framework for Modeling Traditional and Emerging Memory Reliability," 2019 IEEE 27th International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS), Rennes, FR, 2019, pp. 396-409, doi: 10.1109/MASCOTS.2019.00049. Link.
Workshops, Posters, and Invited Talks
- Invited Talk, "DIY AT", Disability Advocacy Union, May 4, 2022.
- Workshop, "Rec-to-Tech: Implementation of a Training Program for Educators to Lead a Youth Program in Baltimore Recreation Cetners", Reimagining Learning, April 30, 2022.
- Conference Presentation, "Improving Assistive Technology Tech Transfer through Research andd Development Projects", ATIA, 2019.
- Poster Presentation, “Development of Wheelchair Catalog for Veterans and Wheelchair Users", VRFP Young Investigators Poster Competition, 2017
- Poster Presentation, “Avoiding Bad Bit Patterns for Unreliable DRAM Memory Cells”, Undergraduate Research Poster Reception, 2015.
Publications Under Review
- E. Higgins, M. Zorrilla, K.M. Murphy, M. Robertson, M.R. Goldberg, S.K. Cohen, N. Augustine, J.L. Pearlman, “Historical Technology Transfer Activites and Productivity of NIDILRR Grantees,” Submitted to: Assistive Technology.
Unsubmitted Course Papers and Papers in the works
- A review of equity-based approaches to learning and making for youth in informal environments
- Subverting Traditional Assistive Technology Acquisition Routes Through Designing Custom Assistive Technology within a University Setting - for submission at ASSETS 2023